What to be excited for in 2017

2017

2016 was a year of new technologies and trends, lots of spotlight towards game development industry and a big applause for new game releases.

Still feeling the excitement and magic from this year we are eager to know what the gaming industry will offer in the new year.

Here are some sneak peeks on what we think will be awesome and exciting in 2017:

Trends:

  • VR is back – brace yourselves! With the rise of the technology and release of brand new and affordable equipment we can expect VR go grow stronger and potentially go mainstream.
  • To pay or not to pay for a game? Currently 5% of the paying games sustain the other 95% free players. Most games these days are free to start and pay to go ahead in the game. According to some game developers, this creates a transparent barrier between games and its players, so thinking about pricing strategy when launching a new game should and will be a key points most developers to think about in the new year.
  • Live Streaming – Twitch and Youtube as streaming channels are changing even the game industry, making game developers focus on live presentation and playing rather that making players buy hard copies or digital versions and broadcast themselves.

Events:

  • Hi-Rez Expo 2017 – takes place at the Cobb Energy Performing Arts Centre in Atlanta, United States on 5th January 2017
  • MGF London 2017 – MGF London 2017 takes place at the QEII Centre in London, United Kingdom on 17th January 2017
  • Global Game Jam 2017 – Global Game Jam 2017 takes place Worldwide, on 20th January 2017
  • AAAI-17 – AAAI-17 takes place at the Hilton San Francisco Union Square in San Francisco, United States on 4th February 2017
  • Casual Connect Europe 2017 – Casual Connect Europe 2017 takes place at the TBA in Berlin, Germany on 7th February 2017
  • Game Connection America 2017 – Game Connection America 2017 takes place for the second year in a row at the AT&T park in San Francisco from the 27th February to the 1st March 2017. It will bring together thousands of senior decision makers all looking to find new partners and do deals.
  • Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2017 – Game Developers Conference (GDC) 2017 takes place at the Moscone Conference Center in San Francisco, United States on 27th February 2017.
  • SXSW Gaming 2017 – SXSW Gaming 2017 takes place at the Austin Convention Center in Austin, United States on 16th March 2017.
  • Games Week Denmark – Games Week Denmark takes place at the Various in Copenhagen, Denmark on 19th April 2017.

More events here: http://www.gamesindustry.biz/network/events

New Game releases:

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard – Release date: 24 January 2017

Available to pre-order from: Amazon, GAME, ShopTo

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC

For Honor – Release date: 14 February 2017

Available to pre-order from: Amazon, GAME, ShopTo

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC

Halo Wars 2 – Release date: 21 February 2017

Pre-order from: Amazon, GAME

Platforms: Xbox One, PC

Lego Worlds – Release date: 24 February 2017

Available to pre-order from: ShopTo

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC

Horizon Zero Dawn – Release date: 3 March 2017

Available to pre-order now from: Amazon, GAME, ShopTo

Platforms: PS4

Mass Effect: Andromeda – Release date: March 2017

Available to pre-order now from: Amazon, GAME, ShopTo

Platforms: PS4, Xbox One, PC

What were the highs and lows of 2016 according to you and what do you think will be the next big thing in the gaming industry?